Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Money Can't Buy Love, But It Can Buy Some Very Satisfying Apps.



I like Malik's take on how some apps connect with people, and some just don't seem to have the little bit of magic that it seems to take to reach a massive market. I agree with the statement that if “you delight your customers, they are going to reward you with…their dollars.” And I agree that “the companies that provide the most value to their customers win.” This explains why I have given so much of my money to Apple over the years. Apple provides products that have great utilitarian value to me, “tools” which, when I use them, leave me with great satisfaction.

Of course, it’s not the hardware that gives me the satisfaction, it’s the ability to solve problems and/or get work done that brings me satisfaction, and that’s were the apps come in. I’m instantly interested in any app that can make my life easier.

As for the “happy” and “utility” part of the equation? For me, it's more "satisfaction" and utility. I'm a tool user--always have been. The tools I use the most these days have keyboards and touch screens, and they allow me to complete the work that means the most to me at this time of my life. To me, apps are the tools that help to unlock the full potential of my devices, which in turn either help me solve problems or makes the daily tasks of life easier. Does this make me happy? I’d still rather use the word “satisfied.” An app that helps to make my life easier is satisfying, just as a hearty meal at a time when I’m hungry is satisfying. As for happiness, we can hope the satisfaction will lead to happiness, but I doubt you’ll ever hear me say, “using Evernote today made me so happy!”

As the title says, money may not buy love, buy it sure can buy some satisfying apps!

No comments:

Post a Comment